Donations & Fundraising
Volunteer Society Nepal is a locally founded (Fundraising Support) Nepali volunteering organization. We have founded different projects and, with the help of volunteers, continue to run these:
- The center for intellectually disabled children
- A charitable school
- Women’s centers to provide vocational training and non-formal education,
- Sponsorship programs for needy children
- Delivering regular food supplies to different orphanages and regular educational supplies to different schools
We run these projects by utilizing part of the fees that we receive from our volunteers. Through our projects, we have been able to provide supports to hundreds of underprivileged children and women.
To which project can I make a donation?
Any donation, big or small, will be greatly appreciated. If you wish to donate to a specific project, please let us know and we can direct the funds as requested.
Should I bring extra money or supplies from home?
Many of our volunteers bring money with them and some also bring clothes and other items. When choosing what to bring though, please remember how cheap things are in Nepal: a pair of socks is around 50 eurocent, a full badminton set 3 euro, warm winter clothes around 10 euro. A small amount of money can go a long way here.
Simple ideas for raising money:
- Give yourself plenty of time so you can collect money and develop good ideas
- Be clear on your placement so you can explain to people exactly what you are doing and why it is worthwhile
- Make it easy for people to donate money online; Just Giving and Click and Pledge are both good websites
- Contact EVERYONE you can think of. No matter how small the donation, it is all put to good use
Past volunteer’s ideas:
- Organize a home cooked dinner and ask 15 or 20 euros per person. Profits go to VSN.
- Run a Marathon or sponsored 10k
- Long distance cycling trips
- Write a column for a newspaper about your experiences
- Sponsored neighborhood car washes
- At a wedding or anniversary ask guests to give money instead of gifts
- Shave your hair off!
Possible ideas for schools, universities and companies:
Many groups raise money at home for a particular project they will be working on in Nepal. Raising money for a new project, and then being a part of building it is both rewarding and satisfying. Many groups hold events to raise the required funds such as concerts, plays or sports tournaments, at which they tell people about VSN and the work they will be doing.
Why not try:
- A sponsored school event such as a play or concert
- Renting out a bar for all your friends and charging a small entrance fee to raise funds
- Hosting a pub quiz with occasional questions about Nepal
- 5-a-side Football tournaments
- ‘Battle of the bands’